The British Newspaper Archive has a Facebook page where you can read some interesting entries including some of the classic writers, assassination attempts on Queen Victoria, etc. Here’s a copy of their recent blog post with links to Facebook and Twitter– You can also sign up for their newsletter as follows:
“To give people some idea of what the newspaper archive contains, we’ve already been posting some content on our Facebook page.
Likewise, we have been using our Twitter channel to let people know about new Facebook content and any upcoming events where people can get a sneak preview of the archive.
Our Facebook page already contains old newspaper items about:
- Charles Dickens
- The Brontes
- Isambard Brunel and the SS Great Eastern
- News stories from the Western Front
- Assassination attempts on Queen Victoria (four and counting…)
- The Great Exhibition and the Crystal Palace
- Thomas Cook
- Test cricket matches
- Grand openings of UK railways
- The lost art of Victorian copywriting (e.g using the famous ‘Stand out of my light’ meeting between Diogenes and Alexander the Great in order to sell health pills…)
- Old newspaper mastheads of rare beauty
- Shrapnel-damaged newspapers
- Woodcut illustrations of eminent Victorians
- ..and much more.
Facebook and Twitter URLs
Email Newsletter Sign-up
To stay informed about the progress of the project and to receive news about the launch, sign up for our free email newsletter.“