Google Places is no more. Almost a year ago Google announced that the company would merge or integrate Google Places and Google+ Pages. Well, it is all happening today with Google Places pages entirely replaced by Google+ Local pages.
Today, about 80 million Google Place pages have been automatically converted into 80 million Google+ Local pages. It is to be expected that some users and business owners will take time to get used to the idea but it is considered to be a dramatic change for the better.
Some of the changes implemented are:
- “The substitution of the new Google+ Local pages (as mentioned) for Google Places pages
- The appearance of a “Local” tab within Google+
- The integration and free availability of Zagat reviews (its entire archive across categories)
- The integration of Google+ Local pages across Google properties (search, Maps, mobile)
- Integration of a circles filter to find reviews/recommendations from friends/family/colleagues”