The town of Wesley Chapel near Monroe in North Carolina lost a house built in 1810 to fire in the early hours of Monday, December 27.

Known as the Houston house, the two-story home stood on a property owned by a Monroe church and plans were in the works to move it to a site recently purchased for the village’s first park.

According to a member of the village’s Parks and Recreation committee it is believed that the fire was intentionally set.

The house was located at the crossing of Wesley Chapel Stouts Road and Tan Yard Road was the residence on a 100-acre homestead built by Dr. William Houston in 1810, shortly after he was married. It was in a bad state of repair with holes in the rusted tin roof but the interior had hand-hewn beams, moldings, railings and other woodwork worthy of preservation.  Everything was destroyed in the fire.

Leave a Reply


*