Crista Cowan (The Barefoot Genealogist) offers a simple plan on the Ancestry.com blog about how to get more from your AncestryDNA test.
If you find a lot of cousin matches and are not sure how to make the connection, Christa has offered a very commonsense approach. There are six points with explanations along with a Common Ancestors chart pictured below that you can print out to help you remember the hierarchy.
- Remember how cousins are connected to you
- Do you have dates attached to each of your ancestors? If not, how you can estimate the birth years .
- Go back through your family tree and make sure you use the drop-down list to enter birth locations for each of your ancestors.
- Some people don’t know how to attach their DNA results to their online tree so it looks like they have “No Family Tree.”
- If someone has a private tree, especially if they are a close match (4th cousins or closer), send them a message and ask for permission to view their tree for a couple of days so you can work with them to discover your connection.
- Be patient! More than 200,000 people have taken the AncestryDNA test and more people are taking the test every day.
Click on the link to access the Ancestry.com blog.