The Lincoln Memorial, built to honor the 16th President of the United States, was dedicated in 1922.
The monument at the West End of the National Mall actually rests on reclaimed land that did not even exist prior to the late 1800s. When the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers deepened the river the dredged silt deposited along its banks expanded the land to its current configuration.
The decision to place the monument at its current location came in 1913 after the land was transformed by landscaping and engineering. Henry Bacon designed the building, David French sculpted the statue, and Jules Guerin painted the two murals.
The featured image is a photograph of the Abraham Lincoln Statue Installation in the Lincoln Memorial in 1920. National Archives identifier: 596194.